Applications are being accepted on a rolling admissions basis for the 2017-18 school year.
The following is a checklist (PDF) to help you with the application process:
2. Visit and tour the school. This is an opportunity for families to ask questions of our Admissions Director and see our classrooms in action. For more information about tours and open houses, click here.
3. Submit the following materials:
a. Application for admission
b. Copy of your child’s birth certificate
c. Photo of your child
d. $75 application fee, to be paid online
e. Signed Academic Record Release (for applicants currently in Kindergarten-8th Grade)
f. Outside evaluations, testing, or reports (if applicable)
4. Request that your child’s current teacher submit the following directly to Baker:
a. Grade-appropriate LMAIS Common Recommendation Forms (submit all that apply):
- Pre-Kindergarten, Junior Kindergarten and Kindergarten Applicants
- Grades 1-5 Applicants
- Middle School Applicants: Teacher recommendations for both English and Math
b. MAP, Terra Nova, or other State standardized test scores for entry to grades 4-8
c. Any additional school evaluations, testing results or IEP/504 Plans (if applicable)
School records and recommendation forms will be reviewed by the Admission Committee. Outside evaluations may be shared with the Head of School, Division Coordinators, and Student Services. Occasionally, Baker staff may request permission to speak with a child’s former or current teacher or other professionals who have worked with the applicant.
5. Schedule a student visit for your child. All incoming students, including those not attending a school program and new incoming siblings of Baker students, must be met by Baker faculty.
a. Pre-Kindergarten and Kindergarten applicants will visit for a one-hour “play party” with their current peer group on Saturday, February 4, 2017. Please contact the Director of Admissions for more information.
b. 1st grade applicants will visit for a half day (including lunch) with peers in a Kindergarten class.
c. 2nd through 8th Grade applicants will be invited to visit the school on specially designated days (8:30 a.m.-3 p.m.) in a class with their current cohort. Students should bring the following materials:
1. Book (that applicant is currently reading)
2. Snack (nut-free)
4. Gym and/or swimwear
5. Appropriate clothing for outdoor play
In accordance with Illinois policy, Baker uses a September 1 birthday guideline when considering a student for admission.
- Pre-Kindergarten: 3 or 4 years old by September 1
- Junior Kindergarten: 4 years old by September 1
- Kindergarten: 5 years old by September 1
Baker Demonstration School admits students of any race, color, national and ethnic origin or gender identity to all the rights, privileges, programs, and activities generally accorded or made available to students at the school. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national and ethnic origin or gender identity in administration of its educational policies, admissions policies, scholarship and loan programs, and athletic and other school-administered programs.