Pre-K & Kindergarten
The Power of Play
Play is about much more than fun. It is the language of childhood. At Baker, we listen as children tell us their interests, ask questions and explore. We respond with opportunities that open up their world.
This is a wonderfully formative stage in which we first invite children to enjoy the freedom of exploration, and introduce them to the idea of learning by doing.
We ask questions and encourage them to ask their own, and in exploring the answers together, we nurture their innate love of learning.
Based on the concept of inquiry through play, our preschoolers begin to experience what will become the foundation of meaningful learning throughout their time at Baker and beyond.
What It Looks Like
- We love to playfully explore music with our little ones. One PK teacher even collaborated with a Baker grandparent who is a music producer to make an album with our students!
- Scavenger hunts are a great example of learning through play. The enjoyment of seeking, collecting, and documenting findings is a precursor to scientific exploration at later developmental stages.
- Preschool students participate in Dance, PE, Swimming, Music, Spanish and Library.
At this stage, children begin to channel their spirit of exploration into inquiry-based projects.
The learning experiences they engage in begin to develop their skills in language arts, sciences, mathematical thinking and social studies.
What It Looks Like
- During our outdoor nature explorations like Wandering Wednesdays, children go out on foot or to local parks and forest preserves where they are encouraged to develop a sense of wonder about the natural world.
- In theme-integrated projects like the Monarch Butterfly Metamorphosis, their understanding of the migration of monarch butterflies to Mexico is deepened through movement; they put on wings and “fly” through the halls to reenact the journey!
- Kindergarten students participate in Dance, PE, Swimming, Music, Spanish and Library.
Early Childhood Schedule
Half-day preschool program: 8:30am – 12:30pm (3 or 5 days per week)
Full-day preschool program: 8:30am-3pm (3 or 5 days per week)
Beforecare: 7:30am-8:30am (included in tuition)
Aftercare: 3- 6pm (additional fee)