Welcome to Baker!
Ben Arrivata ·환영·Willkommen · Weigekomen · 欢迎 ·Witam · Bienvenida
Thank you for your interest in Baker, the independent school on Chicago’s north shore that is nationally recognized for excellence in progressive education. Founded in 1918, we provide students with a well-rounded education that well prepares our graduates for high school – and life.
Creating and promoting diversity is an integral and essential element of our educational program. Families from international backgrounds add to the fabric of our community and find a friendly and inclusive home in Baker. Over the past several years, our enrollment from international students has steadily grown as we have welcomed learners and their parents from countries including Austria, Australia, Belgium, Canada, China, Germany, Italy, Korea, Poland, Switzerland and the United Kingdom. In addition to families who live internationally, about 28% of our students speak a language other than English at home.
Beginning with the 2017-18 school year, we are pleased to announce that we have received SEVP approval to issue the form I-20, a Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1) Student Status for Academic and Language Students. In order to be considered for admission to Baker, applicants must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- 5-14 years old by September 1 of the year in which the student intends to enroll
- Excellent oral and written English communication skills for students applying to grades 2-8
- Proof of legal guardian (identified by the family) and local residency during the period in which the student is enrolled
Applicants who seek an F-1 Visa should submit the following materials:
- An online inquiry form
- An online application and non-refundable application fee
- Teacher recommendations
- Report cards, notarized, from the past two school years
- TOEFL exam results
- Any additional outside testing results
- Copy of applicant’s passport and birth certificate
When all of the above materials have been received, the Director of Admissions will contact the family to arrange an applicant shadow visit or Skype interview. If a student is enrolled at Baker Demonstration School, the family must return a signed copy of the enrollment contract along with a non-refundable New Student Fee of $2,500 before an I-20 Visa will be issued. There is no financial assistance available for international students.